Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Getting Friendly With Your Paper


I was preparing my paper for my speech in York. When I first started I was thinking that what a silly thing I am wondering about. There are many interesting things in the world. Anthropology for example. I could go and watch and interview people in Mongolia or in here Germany. Post war Germans. They must have interesting memories. This city I am living in right now (Cologne) was constantly bombed during the WW II. I am living in the old part of the town. So there are some houses which survived. I am staying one of these houses. They are beautiful contrary to their new rivals. The new buildings are horrible. No aesthetics, no taste, no space. However people do not seem like complaining a lot. I find German culture so interesting. They have just continiued with their lives without making a big fuss about it. Coming from a Mediterranean culture, of course this is fascinating for me. "Not making a big deal". I am sure they are not happy with it, but they just live by it. Anyway I was thinking all these stuff and thinking out of all the things in the world, why this small, tiny, narrow area that almost no one cares about?

Especially, when I am not studying on my subject for a while and get on with life, none of the things I rigorously and painstakingly analyze make sense. Until two days ago, I was finding my subject and me the most boring things in the world.

But then, working on your paper comes. The introduction and the progress seem still boring and dull, because you are working on it for two years now and you almost memorize it. However when you approach towards the end, there is a rush of feelings. Then I remember being a philosopher. I start to love my subject again. My path makes sense and I am happy with my choices. These moments are so intense and right, that they made up months of feeling useless. ..

No comments: