Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Study Room


I am dreaming of a well designed table light, wall to wall dark hard wood study table and my Don Quixote drawing hanging above it and my books are nicely arranged in neatly designed shelves. I am sick of being a vagabond, which seems like it will continue for a while still. I move in to houses for 6 months periods and buying cloths seems like using extra space and exceeding the limit of two suitcases. So I hardly buy clothes and nice decorative things- I never buy the latter.

Why I am dragging around this issue. I am sick of studying in the library and I did not set up my room for long study hours since I am very close to library. I do not have any shelves so my books and notes are rising from the ground mixed up with each other.

I have so many papers to write and things to read and projects to work on. But I am restless. So I dream of a study room, once I saw in the web page of my favorite writer Dan Simmons. It is here: http://www.dansimmons.com/images/officepan_slice/officepan.html. I love it. Mine would be even more organized I believe.

I am almost finishing my paper on Randomized Control Trials and Alternative Medicine. Kirstin Borgerson is a must read in this area. She writes very effectively and uses very nice case studies. What I would like to take up as a case study is "Midwifery and home birth" It is getting popular in Canada, California and Europe again. Turks are not very into it as far as I know. All I hear about is C-section birth giving is so easy etc. That's why I wanted to study about it for both to know what's the status in Turkey nowadays and to see what kind of evidence is used when compared to hospital births, for those who prefer/ advise it.

This is a very nice web page: "http://fullcirclehealing.org/docs/classes/birth_preparation.php ", with philosophical approaches to giving birth. Again I am so illiterate about these health and body things there were so many things that I did not even come close to think about. I love feeling this though. It reminds me there are so many things I will not know and it is so hard to reach a complete set of thoughts etc.

Here is a bit of what she says:

Philisophical Assumptions and Guiding Principles

bullet Childbirth is a profound rite of passage, not a medical event (even when medical care is part of the birth).
bullet The essence of childbirth preparation is self-discovery, not assimilating obstetric information.
bullet The teacher (mentor) is "midwife" to the parents' discovery process, not the expert from whom wisdom flows.
bullet Parents' individual needs and differences determine class content. The purpose of childbirth preparation is to prepare mothers to give birth-in-awareness, not to achieve a specific birth outcome.
bullet Pregnancy and birth outcome are influenced by a variety of factors, but can't be controlled by planning.
bullet In order to help parents moblize their coping resources, it is critical for childbirth classes to acknowledge that unexpected, unwelcome events may happen during labor.
bullet Parents deserve support for any birth option which might be right for them (whether it be medication, cesarean, home birth, breastfeeding or bottle-feeding).
bullet Pain is an inevitable part of childbirth, yet much can be done to ease suffering.
bullet Pain-coping practices work best when integrated into daily life, rather than "dusted off" for labor.
bullet Fathers and birth partners help best as birth guardians or loving partners, not as coaches; they also need support.
bullet Childbirth preparation is also parent preparation.

No comments: